Nineteen local nonprofits will strengthen educational opportunity and reduce the dropout rate in Philadelphia through $764,500 in recent grants made by Lincoln Financial Group. These grants are a portion of more than $2.1 million in charitable funds that the Foundation has allocated for Philadelphia in 2017.
Local organizations awarded education grants include:
- Achieve Now for its Strategic Literacy Initiative.
- Boys and Girls Clubs of Philadelphia for its Call to Action Literacy Initiative.
- Breakthrough of Greater Philadelphia for its Academic Success program.
- Children’s Village to support the year-round School Age Program in Chinatown.
- City Year Greater Philadelphia to support its Whole School Whole Child Initiative in the William Cramp Elementary School.
- Common Place for Common Place Scholars, helping students in Southwest Philadelphia with year-round after-school support.
- Franklin Institute to support the Institute’s suite of education and mentoring programs.
- Free Library of Philadelphia to support the Evidence-Based Instructional Strategy and Family Engagement work of the Read By 4th Campaign.
- Need in Deed for service learning programs targeting students ages 8-14 and cultivating academic connections to challenging social problems facing urban populations.
- Philadelphia Academies for its Career Readiness and Career Pathways high school programs.
- Philadelphia Education Fund for its College Access program, providing college prep guidance to low-income and at-risk students.
- Philadelphia Futures to support its College Retention Services for first-generation scholars.
- Philadelphia Youth Network for its Project U-Turn Early Warning Indicator efforts.
- Police Athletic League of Philadelphia for four Adopt-a-Center sites that provide summer and after-school homework clubs, literacy programs and computer education.
- Special Olympics Pennsylvania to support Philadelphia Unified School Strategies in 13 high schools.
- Steppingstone Foundation to support its academic and scholar enrichment and summer support programs.
- Summer Search to support its comprehensive mentoring, college access and success program.
- Teach For America to continue supporting its first- and second-year corps members serving in Philadelphia schools.
- Zoological Society of Philadelphia for Zoo CREW (Champions for Restoring Endangered Wildlife), an up-to four-year mentoring program for high school students.
About Lincoln Financial Group:
Lincoln Financial Group provides advice and solutions that help empower people to take charge of their financial lives with confidence and optimism. Today, more than 17 million customers trust our retirement, insurance and wealth protection expertise to help address their lifestyle, savings and income goals, as well as to guard against long-term care expenses. Headquartered in Radnor, Pennsylvania, Lincoln Financial Group is the marketing name for Lincoln National Corporation (NYSE:LNC) and its affiliates. The company had $246 billion in assets under management as of September 30, 2017. Lincoln is a committed corporate citizen and was named one of the Forbes Best Employers for 2017, is a member of the Dow Jones Sustainability Index North America, and received a perfect score of 100 percent on the 2017 Corporate Equality Index. Learn more at: www.LincolnFinancial.com. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram. Sign up for email alerts at http://newsroom.lfg.com.