Lincoln Financial Foundation is strengthening art education opportunities and access to the arts for a broad spectrum of Guilford County residents through $259,880 in grants to 11 local nonprofit organizations. The grants are a portion of more than $1.8 million in charitable funds Lincoln Foundation has allocated for Greensboro in 2011.
Among recent grant recipients, Green Hill Center for North Carolina Art has received $20,000 from Lincoln Foundation to increase access to the arts and the Greensboro Ballet will receive $10,000 for Build a Ballet in Guilford County Schools.
Green Hill Center provides exposure to the arts for Guilford County second grade students through its school tour programs. Teachers are provided with classroom materials to prepare students for a visit to the Green Hill Center Art Gallery. Students have the opportunity to tour the gallery and to interact with Green Hill Center staff. Following the tour, they are given the opportunity to create their own art in Green Hill Center’s ArtQuest studio.
Greensboro Ballet will work with students at Eastern High School to literally build their own ballet. This program provides high school students with an interactive, hands-on opportunity to participate in creating a dance performance. Students will use a variety of skill sets while planning, building, marketing and presenting a ballet.
Lincoln Financial Group allocated more than $10.3 million to Lincoln Foundation in 2011 for philanthropic activities in the communities where its employees work.
Other arts grants awarded in Guilford County include:
- $71,000 to the United Arts Council for its Annual Arts Fund Drive, benefitting more than 40 local artists, agencies and schools.
- $43,000 to the Greensboro Symphony Orchestra for the Keep Kids in Tune program. The GSO will involve diverse populations through Beginning Strings, Greensboro Youth Orchestra, Music in the Middle and concerts for elementary students.
- $40,000 to Eastern Music Festival for its 50th Anniversary Season, camps and outreach programs.
- $20,000 to Triad Stage for the 2011-2012 Season, Dial M for Murder and for the Open Door Community Access programs.
- $20,000 to the Music Academy of North Carolina for the Lessons for Life Outreach program. Lessons for Life includes field trips, a children’s concert series, group classes at Title I after-school programs and developmental pre-school music classes.
- $14,000 to Touring Theatre of North Carolina for the performance of The Life and Times of Fannie Lou Hamer in 20 Guilford County high schools.
- $10,000 to North Carolina Shakespeare Festival for the Shakespeare to Go program that will reach students and senior adults with a modern-day Shakespeare experience.
- $8,000 to Community Theatre of Greensboro for the Stages for Learning program. This project will bring kindergarten through 12 th-grade Guilford County Schools students together to produce a Broadway musical to be performed for students and other underserved populations.
- $3,880 to Music for a Great Space for elementary school concerts given by the Manhattan Piano Trio.
About Lincoln Financial Foundation
The Lincoln Financial Foundation, established in 1962, is the charitable giving arm of Lincoln Financial Group. Under Lincoln Foundation guidelines, grants are made in the areas of arts, education, human services and workforce/economic development. Lincoln Financial sets aside up to 2% of its pre-tax earnings for charitable causes that support philanthropic endeavors in the communities where its employees work. The Lincoln Foundation allocated more than $1.6 million to support nonprofits in Greensboro in 2010. Since 2006, the Lincoln Foundation has contributed more than $8.4 million to Greensboro-area nonprofits.
About Lincoln Financial Group
Lincoln Financial Group is the marketing name for Lincoln National Corporation (NYSE:LNC) and its affiliates. With headquarters in the Philadelphia region, the companies of Lincoln Financial Group had assets under management of $157 billion as of December 31, 2010. Through its affiliated companies, Lincoln Financial Group offers: annuities; life, group life and disability income insurance; 401(k) and 403(b) plans; savings plans; and comprehensive financial planning and advisory services. For more information, including a copy of our most recent SEC reports containing our balance sheets, please visit www.LincolnFinancial.com.