Lincoln Financial Foundation is strengthening art education opportunities and access to the arts for a broad spectrum of Guilford County residents through $272,700 in grants to 13 local nonprofit organizations. The grants are a portion of more than $1.8 million in charitable funds Lincoln Foundation has allocated for Greensboro in 2012.
The Community Theatre of Greensboro has received $10,000 from Lincoln Foundation for the Acting Up program at the Newcomers School, a Guilford County School that prepares all recently arrived immigrant and refugee students in grades 3-12 who are novice English speakers for transition into a new academic and cultural environment. Theater can provide a common ground that spans all nationalities, ages, genders and lifestyles. The Newcomers Acting Up program will introduce these students to local theater, giving them and their families an additional connection with their new community. Theater classes will be taught by experienced and qualified teachers with theater degrees and will provide an opportunity for the students to learn new vocabulary and communication skills and build self-confidence.
Other arts grants awarded in Guilford County include:
- $71,000 to the United Arts Council for its Annual Arts Fund Drive, benefitting more than 40 local artists, agencies and schools, increasing access to the arts across all cultural and economic backgrounds, providing art-in-education programs and supporting economic development initiatives to benefit cultural tourism in the community.
- $40,000 to Eastern Music Festival for its 2012 Encircles the City season.
- $40,000 to the Greensboro Symphony Orchestra for the Keep Kids in Tune program, a multi-disciplinary approach to music education through Guilford County Schools and Head Start.
- $20,700 to the Green Hill Center of North Carolina for the Read, Yellow and Blue at ArtQuest program. School readiness activities will prepare at-risk preschoolers to enter kindergarten ready to learn.
- $20,000 to the Music Academy of North Carolina for Lessons for Life, a music education program in collaboration with Guilford County Schools.
- $20,000 to Triad Stage for the starring sponsorship of the 2012 Season and free and reduced tickets for low-income students and senior adults.
- $10,000 to Greensboro Ballet for the Build a Ballet program at Eastern Guilford High School.
- $10,000 to North Carolina Shakespeare Festival for the Shakespeare to Go program that reaches children in Guilford County Schools and senior adults living in retirement communities.
- $10,000 to Touring Theatre of North Carolina for the performance of The Life and Times of Fannie Lou Hamer in 10 Guilford County high schools.
- $8,000 to Carolina Theatre for its Carolina Kids summer camp program.
- $8,000 to the Center for Visual Artists for a youth-directed film studio serving as an outreach tool for at-risk Hispanic youth.
- $5,000 to Dance Project, Inc., for summer dance and drumming workshops in local community centers and a series of mini-concerts at Guilford County Schools.
About Lincoln Financial Foundation
The Lincoln Financial Foundation, established in 1962, is a nonprofit organization formed and supported by Lincoln Financial Group. Under Lincoln Foundation guidelines, grants are made in the areas of arts, education, human services and workforce/economic development. The Lincoln Foundation allocated more than $1.8 million to support nonprofits in Greensboro in 2011. Since 2006, the Lincoln Foundation has contributed more than $10.4 million to Greensboro-area nonprofits.
About Lincoln Financial Group
Lincoln Financial Group has set aside almost $10 million of its pre-tax earnings for charitable causes that support philanthropic endeavors in the communities where its employees work. Lincoln Financial Group is the marketing name for Lincoln National Corporation (NYSE:LNC) and its affiliates. With headquarters in the Philadelphia region, the companies of Lincoln Financial Group had assets under management of $160 billion as of December 31, 2011. Through its affiliated companies, Lincoln Financial Group offers: annuities; life, group life, disability and dental insurance; 401(k) and 403(b) plans; savings plans; and comprehensive financial planning and advisory services. For more information, including a copy of our most recent SEC reports containing our balance sheets, please visit www.LincolnFinancial.com.